Moth Mullein, a Macro View

In yesterday’s post (“Moth Mullein Makes an Appearance”), I featured a couple of images of the Moth Mullein (Verbascum blattaria) patch I found at a local Missouri Conservation Area. After grabbing a few overall plant shots with my 500mm lens, I put on my 180mm macro lens and took some close-up images of the plants. I was especially pleased to find the plants and flowers covered in dew from the previous evening’s rains and the next morning’s heavy fog :o)

Here are a few of my favorite macro images of this beautiful wildflower:

Moth Mullein wildflower

Moth Mullein wildflower

Moth Mullein wildflower, covered in dew

Moth Mullein wildflower, covered in dew

After capturing some of the macro images, I shot several sequences of images for focus-stacking. Here are 2 of my favorite sets of focus-stacked images, with each image being made from 20 individual images. These images were made from either a backside or side (profile) view as I wanted to capture all the interesting dewdrops that were so prevalent on the backsides of the flowers:

Moth Mullein wildflower

Moth Mullein wildflower

Photographic Equipment Used:

  • Canon 7D body
  • Canon EF180mm, f/3.5 macro lens
  • Gitzo #1258-LVL carbon-fiber tripod, with Kirk Ent. HD ballhead
  • ISO 800 (all photos)
  • Aperture f/8 to f/22 (first 4 photos) and f/3.5 (the 2 focus-stacked photos)
  • Shutter 1/40 sec. to 1/200 sec. (first 4 photos) and 1/1600 sec. – 1/2500 sec. (the 2 focus-stacked photos)

 

 

If you enjoyed this post, please share this link with others who you feel may enjoy it!

Posted in 2014, Blog, focus stacking, Macro Photography, Nature Photography, Wildflowers
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , .
Permalink bookmark.
Follow comments: RSS feed for this post.
Trackbacks are closed, but you can post a comment.