Photography Classes for Spring 2017
In 2017, I’m taking a sabbatical from teaching photography classes at the Cass Career Center, except for the class on the upcoming (August 21, 2017) total solar eclipse, which can be viewed by driving about an hour north of us (see info below)
Here is information on my Spring Classes:
“Watch the Sky Fall in August” – Along with my friend, Bill Woods (past president of the Kansas City Astronomical Society), I will be presenting a class on the upcoming (August 21, 2017) total solar eclipse that can be viewed in it’s totality, about an hour north of us. Total solar eclipses are rare to have in your community, so you won’t want to miss the 2017 eclipse! You will learn what causes a solar eclipse, where and how to best, and safely, view it. I will also throw in some photography tips. This class will be held at the Cass Career Center (Harrisonville, MO) on Tuesday, April 18, from 6:30pm to 8:30pm. Note: You can now enroll for these classes online at harrisonvilleschools.org/communityeducation, or you may call the Adult Education Department at Cass Career Center (phone 816-380-3253, ext. 7223), when school is once again in session, after the New Year. Class cost: $20.00 (eclipse viewing glasses will be available for purchase, for $2 – $3)
If you have any questions on any of these classes, please feel free to contact me. Here is a map of the location of these classes:
2017 Craft/Art Shows:
Stillwater Arts Festival (in Stillwater, Oklahoma)
I have successfully juried into the 39th Annual Stillwater Arts Festival, held April 22-23, 2017 in Stillwater, Oklahoma. More information will be added, as it becomes available. If you live in the area, or will be in Stillwater that weekend, please stop in and say “Hi”. This event is free to the public.
Art in the Park (Columbia, MO)
I am planning on applying/jurying for the Art in the Park art show: June 03-04. This show is being held at Stephen’s Lake Park in Columbia, MO, just east of downtown Columbia. More information will be added as it becomes available.
ArtFest Midwest (Des Moines, IA)
I will once again have a booth at the 2017 ArtFest Midwest Art Show, scheduled for June 24-25, at the Iowa State Fairgrounds. This event will be held indoors, in the large, air conditioned Varied Industries Building (near the Fairground’s main entrance). Festival hours are 10:00am to 6:00pm Saturday, June 25, and 10:00am to 5:00pm Sunday, June 26. More information will be added as it becomes available.
“Summit Art Festival” (Lee’s Summit, MO) – I once again will be exhibiting/selling my work at this wonderful festival, October 07 thru 09, 2016, in the historic downtown area of Lee’s Summit. This event is free of charge and features many artists, musical entertainment, and lots of fun! I have been assigned to Booth #12, located on south side 3rd Street (the main street running through the downtown area), about 5 booths east of SW Market Street. Show hours are: Friday, 4pm to 8pm; Saturday, 10am to 8pm; Sunday, noon to 4pm. Hope to see ya there!
“Fall Harvest Art & Craft Show” (Lee’s Summit, MO) – I will again exhibit/sell my work at this 2-day, free event, on November 04-05, 2016, in the Pavilion at John Knox Village. They are located at 520 NW Murray Road, in Lee’s Summit, MO. Show times are 11:00am-7:oopm Friday (11/04) and 10:00am-5:00pm Saturday (11/05). Hope to see ya there!
Gallery Showings for 2017:
(No showings scheduled for 2017)
Planned Photographic “shoots” for 2017:
- Sandhill Cranes of the Platte River – I am planning on returning this spring to add to my collection of crane photos.
- Missouri’s Wonderful Wildflowers – I am planning on some more short trips, spring through fall, around the state (Missouri) to find and capture our beautiful wildflowers. I’m working on collecting all major wildflowers of the Show-Me-State, with a goal of getting a Missouri Wildflower book published.
- Rutting Bighorn Sheep – I am considering another trip to photograph the bighorn rams butting heads in the rut, this fall. This late fall event will get another “job” off my “bucket list” … if I’m successful.
- Grand Teton NP, Yellowstone NP – This trip is not confirmed, but I’m hoping to get back out to the Tetons, with a side trip to Yellowstone, to photograph the bison, pronghorn and moose of the Tetons, in beautiful fall colors! Keeping my fingers crossed!
Projects for 2017:
- Continue my rotating display of prints in area businesses, to help introduce the public to my photography business. I will also be trying to gain some additional businesses to display my work. If you have a local business that is interested in having some of my work displayed, please contact me.
- Participate in more Art Festivals
- Expanding my line of “Reflections of Nature” note card series.
- Leading half-day workshops on some local prairies (wildflowers, butterflies, dragonflies)
- Investigate writing a photography e-book.
- Publish 2018 calendar.
- Submit images for magazines, travel brochures, calendars, etc.
- Evaluate website and blog, and make changes to continuously improve content and performance.